Comment by DATUK MAHADEV SHANKAR
On Aug 13, The Star, quoting Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil, reported that the Cabinet had decided to classify baby dumping that led to the death of babies as a crime that warranted the death sentence.
It is for the Attorney-General to decide whether the circumstances justified a murder charge.
The deliberate killing of newborn babies by their mothers, whether by active physical abuse or by abandonment, constitutes the crime of infanticide.
The relevant sections of the Penal Code read:
> Section 309A. Infanticide
When any woman, by any wilful act or omission, causes the death of her newly-born child, but at the time of the act or omission had not fully recovered from the effect of giving birth to such child, and by reason thereof the balance of her mind was then disturbed, she shall, notwithstanding that the circumstances were such that, but for this section, the offence would have amounted to murder, be guilty of the offence of infanticide.
> Section 309B. Punishment for infanticide
Whoever commits the offence of infanticide shall be punished at the discretion of the Court, with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 20 years, and shall also be liable to fine.
To require the police to treat every fatal case of dumping as one in which the parents were involved and to treat them as murder suspects without any thing else pointing that way suggests not only putting the cart before the horse but the horse’s backside forward!
Since murder cases are not bailable, the additional hardship that will be caused to the mother can be imagined.
Far from punishing maternal victims of this disease they are more deserving of rehabilitation.
Medical treatment and counselling for such conditions have been proven to be very effective.
Our judges are invested with discretion in meting out sentences because they are expected to take on board up-to-date knowledge of the causes which triggered the commission of the offence.
Law enforcers should take careful note of the judge’s dicta on the need for psychiatric evidence in such cases and rehabilitation care that is expected of us in a caring society.
In other jurisdictions, the law on infanticide has been amended to make it mandatory for the Court to consider psychiatric evidence and to direct state aid in providing rehabilitative measures, both in medical treatment and counselling, for offending mothers.
Mothers who have been abused by being made to produce babies year after year have been known to resort to such extreme measures.
The criminalising of transgressors and providing punishments for them in Malaysia is still the exclusive preserve of Federal Law, before which everybody is deemed equal.
Parliament in its wisdom would do well to look deeper into what is going wrong with the moral fibre of the nation and why they are being driven outside the pale.
When we give ourselves and our children the names of saints and prophets who revere a Divinity who is all compassionate and all merciful, surely we can also take that route and only resort to coercion as a last resort.
I really like his final comment (in blue above). Indeed religion is peace. We do name ourselves after saints and prophets. Why cannot we show even a little bit of the compassion, mercy and the common sense that is usally associated with such saints and prophets?
Then I also read the following view coming from a PIS dunggu. Read it for yourself here.
PAS Youth: National celebrations causing baby dumping
PETALING JAYA: PAS is blaming Valentine’s Day and New Year celebrations as among the main causes of baby dumping in the country.
“Baby dumping is rampant especially during the months of July to September – the months are dubbed the ‘baby dumping season’,” PAS Youth chief Nasrudin Hassan said yesterday.
“It is an indication that the ‘mating season’ occurred during the New Year celebrations.
He said the celebrations, which originated from the West, did not “sit well with our country’s traditions.”
True to the intelligence of the PIS, this fellow's suggestions are brain dead and brainless. And he is a member of the Pakatan Riot too. There must be some kind of global conspiracy that the liwatters, the exhibitionists (its ok, she was dianiayakan), the corrupt, the racists, the liars, the katak and now the braindead are all lumped together inside the Pakatan Riot.
Well if the "mating season" took place on New Year's eve (31st December) then the outcome should be known by October 10th. If the mating season was on February 14th (Valentine's Day) then the outcome shall be manifest by Nov 24th (sembilan bulan sepuluh hari lah Ya Pak 'nyet). So on both counts this dungu is off.
Outcome of a mating season gone horribly wrong.
But I have a few questions to ask the PIS :
1. Apa pasal orang Cina tidak ditimpa masalah kes buang bayi, pada hal orang Cina yang menyambut New Year's Day, Valentine's Day, Merry Christmas, Hari Raya China dan sebagainya secara besar-besaran?
2. Apa pasal wanita Cina yang tidak memakai jubah, tudung dan lebih selesa memakai baju skirt, seluar pendek, kemeja tanpa lengan, baju singkat dsbnya tidak ditimpa gejala buang bayi ini?
3. Apa pasal orang Cina yang boleh minum arak, boleh menari berpesta, boleh bergaul bersama lelaki dan wanita terlepas gejala sumbang mahram?
4. Apa pasal kita baca kes ustaz agama pun didakwa di mahkamah bukan saja atas tuduhan merogol budak perempuan tetapi juga kes meliwat budak lelaki?
5. Apa pasal Pak Sheikh - amirul kepada segala dungu PIS sekali - juga telah dihadapkan ke mahkamnah dua kali atas tuduhan meliwat lelaki?
6. Apa pasal parti PIS mendukung atas bahu mereka seorang peliwat dan juga penzina (sepertimana dijelaskan dalam mahkamah dengan bukti yang lebih daripada cukup) sebagai pemimpin pakatan mereka? Ajaran setan yang mana satu yang PIS amalkan?
7. Apa pasal anak-anak kita yang berselubung yang di bawah telunjuk para ustaz PIS juga dari kecil hingga dewasa masih boleh terlibat dalam gejala buang bayi?
8. Apa pasal ustaz sendiri yang mengamal dan mengajar agama boleh juga terlibat dalam kes rogol?
9. Apakah ustaz-ustaz PIS merasa mereka terlepas daripada kegagalan mereka mengajar nilai-nilai yang baik dan berguna kepada anak-anak muda yang sepatutnya menyelamatkan anak-anak muda daripada terjebak dalam maksiat?
10. Apakah kenyataan bodoh dan dunggu daripada parti PIS ini yang menyalahkan Perayan Merdeka, Sambutan Tahun Baru, Valentine's Day dsbnya sebagai punca kes buang bayi dapat membantu sesiapa pun? Padahal orang bukan Islam seperti kaum Cina dan India menyambut semua perayaan ini dengan lebih besar dan ghairah (dengan pesta, hidangan arak, bergaul antara lelaki perempuan dsbnya) tanpa mengakibatkan buang bayi, sumbang mahram, rogol atau liwat di kalangan mereka.
Boleh tak parti PIS berhenti sejenak menggaru kepala memikir kebenaran ini?