- Court sets Nov 23 for appeal against Anwar's sodomy II acquittal
- PUTRAJAYA: The Court of Appeal has set Nov 23 for case management of the appeal by the prosecution against the acquittal of Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim for sodomy as record of appeal is still incomplete.
- Deputy Registrar N.Kanageswari fixed the date after meeting the parties in chambers on Friday.
- The prosecution has stated nine grounds in the petition of appeal to set aside Anwar's acquittal.
- Anwar was acquitted by the High Court on Jan 9 for allegedly sodomising Mohd Saiful, his former aide, at a condominium in Bukit Damansara on June 26, 2008.
Its only a Court date. Even if both sides are heard in Court, the Court will still need time to come out with its judgement.
This will give Anwar plenty of ammo to bring up his Court case in his ceramah again. Have you noted how the Pakatan fellows, especially Anwar, talk freely about the Court cases in their ceramahs and their media statements? They dont care about being subjudice.
Anwar was acquitted by the High Court on Jan 9 based on the Courts opinion that the evidence (the DNA sample) may have been tampered. Actually wrongly handled. They said that when the Police Inspector guy broke the seal to the envelope and took out the glass vial containing the DNA sample, it was tampering already.
Well I beg to differ. I think if you ask the scientists and the DNA guys, tampering is possible if the DNA sample is exposed to the air. Then an insect can fall in, there may be oxidation from the air, the sample begins to deteriorate when exposed to the air, someone could have put a drop or two of some chemical to intentionally pollute the sample etc.
But the fact is when the Police Inspector broke the seal to the envelope, at no time was the seal to the glass vial broken. The DNA sample was never exposed to the air. If it was not exposed to the air, no insect could have fallen in either. Or any outside substances introduced into the vial by the Police Inpsector handling it.
Here is an analogy.
You collect the sample in a glass vial.
Then the vial is sealed inside an envelope.
The envelope is sealed inside a Forensic case .
The Forensic case is sealed in another container for transport.
The container is put in a Police Inspector's office.
The Inspector enters his own office. Has contamination taken place?
Then he opens the seal on the container. Has contamination taken place?
Then he opens the Forensic case. Has contamination taken place?
Then he opens the envelope. Has contamination taken place?
He did not open the glass vial. Has contamination taken place?
Anyway the elections may take place before Nov 23rd. Imagine if the Appeals Court makes a decision which overturns the High Court judgement. Then they will scream that it is another UMNO conspiracy to lock up Anwar before the elections. So Najib is under more pressure now. The elections may have to be held before the Court decides on this appeal.