Lim Kit Siang is making a big issue about the Moros and Mindanaos being given citizenship in Sabah. Lim Kit Siang is born of immigrants as well. Now he is questioning why other immigrants are being given citizenship. Thats how it comes across.
Allow me to irritate our other immigrant citizenry : would it be too out of place to suggest that we have a Royal Commission of Inquiry to investigate why 1.0 million immigrants (mostly Chinese and Indians) were given citizenship in Malaya in the 1950s?
I mean surely there must be at least five million Malays on the Peninsula today who may be wondering why or how that particular incident happened? Were they consulted? Was there a public referendum?
Is this a fair request? Or its not fair? Lets not argue about the fairness. Lets have a RCI first on the issue - how and why 1.0 million Chinese and Indians (including my mamak gang of course) were given citizenship.
Anyway Another Brick In The Wall has an excellent write up about the Royal Commission of Inquiry into the Sabah refugees and immigrants issue. You can read it here (it is a must read). Here are some interesting points.
- RCI Witnesses Credibility Questioned
- However, all the sources reported the witnesses and names mentioned; Kee Dzulkifly, Asli Sidup, Alcop Damsah @ Yakup Damsah, Nasit Sugip and their boss Ramli Kamaruddin were detained under the Internal Security Act.
- They were detained for their role in a syndicate to extort money from the approved immigrants before issuing them the blue ICs. This blogger also confirm to have met and heard those involved in this syndicate acknowledge they made money from the exercise.
- The government had planned and agreed to issue citizenship to the political refugees in accordance with the proper principle, conditions and procedures. Thus, the award of citizenship and issuance of IC is not an issue but it was these witnesses that were culprits in smearing the reputation of the exercise.
- In addition, Nasir Sungip is believed to be the brother to PAS state assemblyman for Selangor, Saari Sungip. That raised the possibility of partisan political motive and biasness in Nasir's statement at the RCI.
I say what? These guys were ISA detainees?
- all the sources reported the witnesses and names mentioned..were detained under the Internal Security Act
- for their role in a syndicate to extort money from the approved immigrants
Alamak - for their role in a syndicate to extort money from the approved immigrants. And it is the testimony of these people that Lim Kit Siang and gang are playing up on their Blogs.
I have a question - why cant you Pakatan nuts get more reliable and credible people to back up your stories? ISA detainees, convicted and jailed 'thrown out of UMNO' sodomists, adulterers and liars, PI Semua Boleh, carpet sellers and all kinds of creeps who will say anything to save their hide.
It is a fact that Muslims from Mindanao were fleeing the numerous and murderous christian vigilante groups (read a study by the University of Hawaii here) encouraged by a succession of Filipino leaders from Marcos to Corazon Aquino and beyond. These refugees fled to Sabah because Sabah is familiar territory for them. (This is exactly the same reason why the Phillipines has not given up their claim to Sabah - they say that all the Sabahan races are also Filipinos. )
Years after these refugees had settled down in Sabah, and were not going back, the Malaysian government decided to grant these people citizenship.
- The government had planned and agreed to issue citizenship to the political refugees in accordance with the proper principle, conditions and procedures.
- Thus, the award of citizenship and issuance of IC is not an issue
And if you want the citizenship that was given to the Moros to be taken back, then surely their relatives (who populate Semporna, Tawau and the eastern coast of Sabah) can ask that your citizenship be also revoked. And they have been here much, much longer than you.
So be careful what you wish for. It is not impossible that a Sabahan will become our Prime Minister some day.