"Underworld In Penang : Man shot dead in Penang : GEORGE TOWN: A 29-year-old man was shot dead at close range by a gunman at Jalan Permai, Taman Brown here."
You can click on the link to read the story. Talk on the ground is the underworld has taken over the construction sites (protection money, controlling labour supply, contractors fighting over territory etc). Also the nightclubs and massage parlours protection money racket. Wherever the underworld is involved in the syndicates, rackets and protection money, there are turf wars and killings.
And today The Star reports two more shootings in Penang, both on the same day.
The first one happened in Taman Gemilang in Lunas. I know Lunas is in Kedah but Taman Gemilang is only 800 metres from the Penang state line (Butterworth). That is Penang lah. Here is the news :
- In cold blood: Supt Ghuzlan (centre) and two senior police officers looking at Low’s body, covered with a plastic sheet
- 38-year-old man shot dead by gunman at Taman Gemilang in Lunas here.
- The victim, Low Kah Soon, a contractor, had no way of escape
- gunman, on a motorcycle, had waited patiently for his “target”
- gunman had been seen prowling around prior to the shooting.
This was definitely a hired gun. The victim is said to be a contractor. And here is the second killing also in Butterworth:
- BUTTERWORTH: 27-year bouncer killed in Lorong Desa Murni
- “Police found a bullet shell
- Six suspects – five locals and a Vietnamese – have been arrested.
- Police are probing the matter to ascertain the motive of the killing.
- main suspect, picked up in Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling, George Town